Saturday, January 1, 2011

1801-I have just returned from a visit to my landlord...

...the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.   Thus we are introduced to the glowering antihero Heathcliff of Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights.  I received this book for Christmas, and waited until today to crack it open so that it could be my first book of 2011.  If you have most recently been reading current pop fiction, it will take a few pages to get used to Bronte's vocab and sentence structure, which is no surprise considering that she wrote this in1847.  The occasional puzzling out of a strange word is worth the effort though...because in chapter 15 Heathcliff is bitten by a radioactive spider and develops super powers!    Just kidding.

Thus concludes the first of two entries on Wuthering Heights.  I plan to post two entries per week, one when I start reading a new book, and one when I've finished reading it.   The latter entry could include my reaction to or interaction with the book in question.  This blog is not going to be a series of literary critiques (I'm not qualified) or book reviews (I'm not interested).  So if you're a high school sophomore in search of plunderable material for that 2 page report Mrs. Rusten wanted yesterday, you can just move along now.  (But definitely include the part about Heathcliff's superpowers.)

Check back on Friday to see how I fared a week of wandering the windswept moors and unhappy homes of Yorkshire.

6 comments:

Laura said...

"...because in chapter 15 Heathcliff is bitten by a radioactive spider and develops super powers!" LOL I didn't think I'd find myself laughing out loud reading a blog on the classics!

bren j. said...

Oh man, this blog is gonna be GOOD!

I read the book some time ago and watched an updated BBC miniseries version thereof a month or two back. While the movie was reasonably accurate, the book was significantly less confusing. Regardless, it seems Emily Bronte was a little ahead of her time. I wonder if she would be writing for Harlequin now?

Also, I'm puzzled by your lack of interest in book reviews. Please elaborate.

Kara said...

I LOVE Wuthering Heights! I can't believe you haven't read it before! I am looking forward to your thoughts on this one! And I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose next week. Perhaps I will read along! :)

Anne Ylvisaker said...

You have a delicious read in front of you! Enjoy your reading week.

Kara said...

bren j.-I would find it harder to do a 2 paragraph review than a 3 page one, because I'd have to condense it so much. I also want to avoid spoilers, so I won't be saying things like "Character X should have been more developed before the events of chapter 5 because..." Fortunately, these are all classics, so I won't be subjected to bad writing and horrible plot devices.
Mrs. Luce-I know...you're probably not going to believe a lot of the titles on my "unread" list. :/ But after 2011, that list will be 52 entries shorter! And I would love it if you (anyone else is welcome too) want to read along with me for a week here and there. Maybe some HS English students want to do this for extra credit...how wonderful to discover these books at age 15 instead of 50.

Kara said...

p.s. I'm not 50. I just absentmindedly alliterate.